Friday, February 6, 2009

Ecstasy

I saw a play about junkies (The Connection), altogether a rubbish production I would say, but not a complete waste of three hours !!! of your life as the performance is enhanced by first-class live jazz music.
It tried to address the question of ecstasy, and how different people long for it in different ways. It made me think of those who attend certain types of synagogue or other religious services where they can get driven away by the singing, the meditative prayers or the community spirit. I had to realize that I wasn't an ecstasy person. I may have been at some point in the past, but not any more. I've come to the conclusion that it is something that some people need and some people are totally happy without. It is not the only valid form of religious experience, not the ultimate goal. I sought it as a teenager and couldn't ever really find it - and then my desire for it waned away. Perhaps it was the teenager in me that waned away and that keeps living on in all those others?

No comments: