Friday, February 6, 2009

Trader Joe's

Have you ever had to queue in the street in front of a supermarket? I would have thought this was an eastern European phenomenon that had died out in the late 80's with the last breath of communism. But, as we have learnt earlier, America is a country of endless possibilities and so I had a chance to experience first-hand what it's like when you want to do your grocery shopping but have to wait in line to get into the store.
And it's all because I'm a poor student. I have to find the cheapest shop in town. But I've had to realize that a life of limited budgets was a life still well lived. It's surprising how many things one can do without having any money. My dietary needs are very basic: even if I had lots of money, I would still be living on pasta and bulgur wheat. For fitness, one can go running outdoors, and no exclusive gym can parallel the splendid views along the Hudson river or the charm of Central Park. For books and movies, there's the public library where membership is free. If you want higher culture, Lincoln Centre's Juillard School offers free tickets for concerts and other performances. What more do you need when you spend 80 percent of your time in school anyway?

No comments: