Friday, February 6, 2009

Milarepa

He was green. Literally. He lived on nothing but nettles for a while and his skin turned green. And not only that but he was, I think, the quirkiest hippest figure in the Buddhist canon (not that I know too much about the others...). A poet and vagabond, hermit and teacher, master of the Path.
Like Resh Lakish in the Jewish tradition, Milarepa also started out as a criminal, until he encountered the Buddha's teaching. Because he had been such a bad boy, legend has it, he had no choice but to achieve enlightenment in a single lifetime. And he did!
Here are my favourite lines by him that I carry with me wherever I go. If you believe one should have an ideal in life, something to strive towards, this is what mine is:

'I do not seek wisdom in books - content to leave my mind alone
nor seek to better myself through talking - content to leave my mouth alone
nor know how to cheat and lie - content to leave the world alone
nor proudly scratch for fame - content when no one speaks of me
any place I stay is all right - whatever happens I am happy'

No comments: